**** NOTE: My November 2012 posts have been lost due to system issues. They are: Good Guys Show, Nostalgia Drags and my Day of the Dead shoot...hoping to recover them. Sorry if you came here to specifically see those posts.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Headed West Part 1: Quartzsite


Quartzsights
Quartzsite is a little town 160 miles west of Phoenix and 30 miles from Blythe/the California border. I've driven past this town dozens of times on the way to California and never stopped, foolishly topping of the tank in Blythe....no more, the price difference is currently crazy!
Quartzsite is known for the largest gem and mineral club in the US and snowbirds flock to it's 70+ mobile home parks in the winter. I took the exit and went looking for something retro to photograph.
I found two great spots: the old Camel Stop Auto Repair and the Desert Gardens Mobile Home Sales & Classic Cars lot.

These pumps could only dream of the $4+ plus prices just over the AZ border in California.

Desert Gardens was just across Interstate 10 on the south side.

Coming across these classic cars was just stunning after stumbling upon Camel Stop Auto; my little detour turned into a 90 minute photo excursion.
Check out the sign in the background...$3.59 for regular unleaded...not a lot of "Love" there, but just 30 miles away in Blythe, CA --- $4.03.
There was shiny and ready to drive off of the lot...
and rusted beauties begging for attention.
1950 Chrysler
If I could have got that Chrysler in front of these pumps down the street...what a shot that would have been!
Okay it may have needed some air in a couple tires for the short trip...
and a tetanus shot for me might be a good idea.
But what a beauty!


Spun.

There were plenty of Cadillacs.



Patrick, the kind cowboy gentleman who caught me snooping around the lot taking photos (and didn't shoot me) told me this  '61 Cadillac was an actual Ed "Big Daddy" Roth custom. The way it was parked I couldn't get a good angle for a photo, but it is a very cool Caddy. 
It's what a Cadillac El Camino may have looked like.
I'm guessing this load is just a display given it's prominent exposure to eastbound I-10. 
I don't know what to say about the next two. They may have been show vehicles, but I'd stay out of their way.

The lot Goddess...


The birds continuing what consumer history has done to the Edsel.





I joked about Patrick shooting me, but he was one hell of a nice guy and was willing to show me around or answer any questions I had about the cars. Had I had more time I would have liked to talk a lot more with him. Thanks Patrick!

No comments: